Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Know Your Why

This way or no way, you know, I'll be free
~ David Bowie

Week 1 of the Uncluttered course also started with the death of David Bowie, one of my biggest musical heroes. He died just two days after his 69th birthday and the release of his 25th album, Blackstar, which turns out to be his parting gift to us. He had been battling cancer for the past 18 months, but had somehow managed to keep it a secret from the public at large until the announcement of his passing. To be honest, I was in a bit of a haze of disbelief on Monday.

What does any of that have to do with uncluttering and simplifying? Well, there it is again, the mortality monster. It was the death of my father and sifting through so much of his unfinished business that started this ball rolling. Since then, I've spent a lot of time weighing all the "stuff" that I have verses the time that I may have left to enjoy it and/or make use of it. It seems so out of balance, and then along comes another reminder that life is short and I'm really not making the most of it.

The topic for Week 1 of Uncluttered is called 'Know Your Why"... Why do I want to scale down and simplify my life? I want to spend less of my time handling and organizing stuff. I want to decrease the stress of tending to the things that I own. I want more family time. I want to travel more. In general, I want to experience more and live a more meaningful life. I'm not unhappy right now, by any means, but I feel like there's a whole lot of joy and happiness buried under all the time I spend with material things.

So, my goal in minimizing? Live more with less stuff. In some ways, I guess I must have known this all along because that's what I named this blog. I desire to own less so I can experience a more meaningful life, spending more time with my family and on pursuits that benefit those around me. I want to engage in life on a deeper than material level.

No comments:

Post a Comment