Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Chemotherapy, Part 0

After several back-and-forth phone calls to the Beloit Cancer Center and a specialty pharmacy called CareMed, we're now lined up for my first chemotherapy treatment. I go in to the Cancer Center tomorrow for some "baseline" labs they wanted to before I start. This will also be the first time anyone tries to use my chemo port for anything, so it will essentially be a test to see if it works.

If it does, and everything else goes according to plan, I am scheduled to have my first chemotherapy treatment on Tuesday, May 7. I'm looking forward to the next major step in killing off this cancer, but I'm also anxious about going through some of the horror stories I've heard about chemotherapy. Covering possible side-effects with an oncology nurse this afternoon didn't ease my mind much, either. 

These names don't mean much to me (yet?) but here is my initial prescription: 

  • Docetaxel (injection) - slows cancer growth
  • Abiraterone acetate (tablets) - further lowers testosterone
  • Prednisone (tablets) - a steroid which decreases inflammation and slows down an overactive immune system

No comments:

Post a Comment