Friday, April 12, 2024

Cryotherapy

Apparently, it used to be that aggressive cases of prostate cancer like mine prompted the surgical removal of the prostate. At some point, someone figured out that freezing the prostate cracks the cancer cell walls. On April 10, I went in for this procedure, known as cryoablation or sometimes cryotherapy. The procedure was scheduled for 3:00 pm but they asked us to arrive at 1:30 pm to register.

Arriving on time or maybe a bit early, we made our way back to the surgery center. By the time I was in my gown and under blankets, we overheard that things were running behind and that I wouldn't be going under until 3:30. 3:30 became 4:00, 4:00 became 4:30 and, I actually didn't make it into the surgery until around 5:00. Three and a half hours of waiting on my back on a typically thin hospital bed. Pretty frustrating. 

As much as I am not a morning person, there's definitely something to be said for getting up at an ungodly hour to be first or second on the operating table and just get it over with.

Once in the surgery, I was given general anesthetic and was out cold in no time. I don't remember anything else until I started coming to in a post-op ward. According to my doctor/surgeon who came to talk with my wife at that point, everything went well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment