Tuesday, June 11, 2024

What I Did On My Chemo Vacation

My second chemotherapy infusion was originally scheduled for May 28. As I mentioned in a recent post, that was postponed until June 4 because my liver enzymes were too high. What I haven't written about is that my bloodwork kept showing elevated liver enzymes so it got postponed again until today, June 11. 

If there's any good reason I haven't updated this blog in the past two weeks it's that I've been feeling relatively well and the weather has been wonderful! 

During these precious (three in total) weeks of "vacation" from the side-effects of chemotherapy, I actually felt even better than I did prior to starting chemo. This looks like a sign that the other parts of my chemotherapy (especially the ones designed to decrease/block my testosterone that I take orally) are really doing their job right now.

When the weather has allowed, we've tried to be outside. We managed to catch up with several dear old friends out in our garden, for example. My wife and I have had picnics in local parks and have even managed a short walk here and there, and I even managed to get some more tree measuring done. That last bit involves flying my drone, something I haven't had the wherewithall to enjoy since winter. My wife has been thoroughly enjoying working in our gardens this spring, and I've been a beneficiary to all the wonderful life, color, and beauty she has brought to them. They're thriving!

I still don't think I have the energy to do any long hikes, bike rides, or kayak trips. You can bet your patootie, though, that I'm doing as much as I can handle right now. I'm even reasonably productive inside the house on the few rainy days we've had, something I really wasn't before or after the first round of chemo.

Not knowing that I was on my last day of this "chemo vacation" today, a dear old friend sent me this message: 

"Hoping that small things are making you feel some joy." 

Absolutely. That's right in line with what the late, great Warren Zevon said when David Letterman asked the dying Zevon if he had any advice: 

"Enjoy every sandwich." 

I have been trying to live by that since my diagnosis, but never more successfully than in the last three weeks. All good things must come to an end, though, right? 

My chemo infusion for today was not postponed and I just started the second round with an infusion of Docetaxel this afternoon. The real test of ones resolve for the quotes above happens when the going gets rough. I expect things should start to get rough for me on Thursday night or Friday. I hope I can still find some joy in small things when it kicks in. My friend's kind reminder to me couldn't have come at a better time.

No comments:

Post a Comment