Monday, July 29, 2024

The Break That Really Wasn't

As previously mentioned, my next chemo infusion got pushed ahead to August 6 so that I could get two weeks of radiation treatments to my hips. Those treatments were described to me in the mildest terms aside from warning me that I would probably feel more fatigued toward the end. I was looking forward to another chemo break where I would feel well enough to get outside more and do a few things.

Unfortunately, while I might be over the worst of the chemo side-effects at this point, the radiation treatments are still keeping me down.

Not only did the radiation start to increase my fatigue after only one week of treatments, but they've also caused my legs and hips to feel as though I've done too much... without actually having done much at all. Right now, almost constantly, I feel like I'm suffering the effects of taking a really long, strenuous hike up a mountain. This despite not being able to even walk a mile at any point during the last six or seven months.

You know that feeling when you encounter really crappy weather during a planned vacation? It's kind of like that right now. I am definitely feeling a break from the hellish side-effects of chemotherapy, but I'm still couch-bound from the side-effects of the radiation I'm getting.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, that sucks and I'm sorry. I mean, I'm happy you're able to give your body a break from chemo (go, poison, kill the cancer!) because that is a brutal regimen, but I'm sorry that radiation is hitting so hard. I hope it ultimately brings you some relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! It's not really that the radiation is hitting me hard. In truth, the side-effects pale in comparison to that of chemo. I'm just that it's enough to keep me from trying to be a little active, so I'm grumpy about it. I've been inactive for over six months now (and I know you can relate) so I'm just kind of grumpy about anything that keeps me inactive.

      Delete