Sunday, September 15, 2024

Reasons To Be Cheerful, Parts 11 & 12

There's something I've been very grateful for that I just realized I've never written about in detail here. One very common side-effect of chemotherapy is nausea. Before I even started my first infusion, they wanted to make sure I had anti-nausea, anti-vomiting medication at the ready. I was not looking forward to this reaction but I felt like it was probably inevitable.

One major reason I've had to be cheerful is that, and I'm super hesitant to say this out loud... I have rarely been nauseous during this entire ordeal. Even though most doctors and nurses agree that I've had an inordinately high number of negative reactions to my chemo, I have only had a few rare instances of nausea.

Closely related, at least in terms of my ability to eat, is that another common side-effect is a loss (or change) in one's sense of taste. It has happened to me, but seems to be isolated to one or two specific tastes, and usually doesn't last long. For example, occasionally, water tastes bad to me. Then it's back to tasting like water later in the day or the next day.

I continue to be eternally grateful that neither of these notorious side-effects have been much of a problem for me. Why? Because it means that I can still eat somewhat normally and food still appeals to me. That's as important for my sanity as it is for my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment